Monday, August 10, 2009

We have to Make Ourselves Aware.

I read an article this week that I consider a must read  "Is it a Crime to be Poor?" By Barbara Enrenreich.  Enrenreich writes about how many cities and state in this country are writing laws that are intentionally or unintentionally criminalizing poverty. 

We must pay attention to the way that most vulnerable are treated.  Just because a law applies to all people it does not make it "fair" or more importantly right.  We can not continue to make laws that adversely effect the last and the least and expect the problems in this world to get any better. All people deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, no exceptions. The fact is that that is not happening. 

I think that has been made more clear to me as I have watched the "debate," if one can call it that, on health care reform.  Let me put this simply I believe that health care should be a right, a basic human right.  We truly must think about those who currently have no way of getting health care and ask ourself how it serves the public good for people to go uninsured. I understand that the plan out there may not be perfect but something has to change to protect those who currently not being served by the status quo. 

It is time for people of good will to educate ourselves about the laws in our area and speak against those that leave others behind. We can not continue to let our differences continue to divide us. We must find common ground to fight the real evils in this world like poverty, hunger and disease.  The real fight in this world is not between people who may disagree socially, politically or religiously but rather between people of good will and the problems of the world.  We must move beyond the rhetoric.

So I hope you read the Enrenreich article and I hope it makes you think, wether you agree with it or not.  




1 comment: