Friday, August 21, 2009

Thank God for College Students!

I love my job working as a campus ministry associate. I can not express to you how fulfilling what I do each day is.  This blog is not about me though this blog is about my students.  

I have to thank God each day for the students I work with.  They are amazing. Each of them on very different journeys but coming together to be a community.   As they walk their faith journey each day, they enrich the faith journey of those around them. I know this because they have enriched my journey so much. 

The truth is that the students I work will have a positive effect on all the groups and communities they are apart of.  They live their faith don't just believe in it.  They are always ready to explore their faith and try to deepen their relationship with God. What they don't often realize is that while they do this they act as example for others in the church to do the same. 

These students are the very reason that I'm so concerned about the national trend to defund campus ministries. I'm lucky to work in a church and in a conference that is very supportive of it's campus ministries but that is not where a lot of churches and conferences around the country are.  I think it is a grave mistake for the conferences and churches to get rid of campus ministries.  The fact is that as the students I work with bring life to the church; so will other students bring life to other churches.  I often hear that students are the future of the church, but the fact is that students and the campus ministries that are apart of are the here and now of the church.

These young adults have much to offer and they simply want to be asked. Let young adults into the conversation. The life and passion that they bring with them is simply transformative.  They are ready to be a part of your communities you simply need to ask them and treat them like they have something to offer because they do. 

So tonight on the cusp of another school year I'm thanking God for college students, for those students I work with, and for how they enrich the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment