Thursday, August 13, 2009

Lessons I've Learned from Riding My Motorcycle. aka Enjoying the Ride.

I bought my first motorcycle this summer and I have to say that it is one of the best purchases I have ever made.  I can not begin to tell you how much enjoyment I've gotten from riding everywhere this summer. I also have learned a great deal from my experiences on the back of the motorcycle, here are just a couple. 

It may be safer and more comfortable to travel in a climate controlled metal box but you also miss out on a lot.  By taking the risk of exposing yourself and being outside of your comfort zone you see things that you have missed otherwise.  I can not count the number of great experiences I have had seeing birds fly by my bike, seeing beautiful scenery, experiencing the smell of the fresh air around me all of which I missed out on if I had gone in a car instead of on the motorcycle. 

The trip can be just as much fun if not more fun than the destination.  The beauty and freedom that the motorcycle provides has helped me to rediscover how wonderful the process of traveling can be. It makes me think of all the time I has wasted in my life wishing I was there when I just could have been enjoying the journey. 

You take the good with the bad.  I've been lucky to have a lot of really great days to ride but I've also been stuck in rain.  I've enjoyed the fresh air and smells of fresh baked food, I've also been stuck behind cattle trucks, smelled dead skunk and driven by stock yards.  The really amazing thing is the "bad" things can be very memorable and in the end be good stories and good memories. 

Share your enjoyment with someone else. It was a while before my wife Tammy got on the motorcycle with me because we both wanted to make sure that I had to skills to keep us both safe.  I loved those earlier rides but they don't even compare to how wonderful it has been when Tammy and I have gotten share the enjoyment of the motorcycle. We both now lament when we have to take to car on a trip because we both love the experience the motorcycle offers.

Mostly find something that brings you enjoyment and do it all you can.  Life is too short not to enjoy ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment