Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Importance of Science


I've been thinking about science a lot in the past week. It started when I discovered that www.symphonyofscience.com put up some new videos (if you have never seen their videos check them out). I've had a little more time on my hands so I have been watching a number of scientific documentaries. Lastly I had a friend mention on twitter that every child should be taught scientific method.

It was the last that got me thinking my friend made a great point we should be teaching all children scientific method. First I was surprised that this had to be said because in my upbringing I was taught about scientific method, but I have begun to realize that my experience is unique that there are a lot of kids who do not get the chance to see the beauty of the universe that exists around them.

I'm very disturbed by the anti-science strain that has taken root in some communities of faith. I think that it has lead to a very unhealthy view of the universe around us. I think that science not only can help us to understand the world we live in but it can also help us to rediscover the natural wonder and awe we have for that world. I think that this anti-science mentality has contributed to the environmental crisis we find ourselves in.

Science can also teach us important lessons about living in the questions. Scientists search for answers yes, but they also are excited by the search and comfortable with saying we don't know. This is important because the fact is that life is about the search.

Faith should not be taught in the science classroom. I would not be comfortable as a person of faith having my child be told about faith in school. Science needs to be taught as science, if people wish to tell their children something different it is their responsibility to do so not the school's. Science by definition is observable and faith is not. I certainly see my faith and science as compatible and value both very much, but faith is not scientific (because it is not observable). Science certainly informs my faith, and my faith colors how I see science but there is great value with me wrestling with the questions of the intersection of faith and science myself and I think that others should be given the opportunity to wrestle with these issues.

Do something scientific this week!!! See the wonder and awe science has to offer. I think you will find it exciting.

1 comment:

  1. Does going to a picnic at Ledges count as something scientific? I can't wait to see what's blooming out there :)

    ReplyDelete