Friday, July 30, 2010

I Love my Muslim Sisters and Brothers


I'm deeply saddened today. I have heard far too much negative talk about my Muslim sisters and brothers. I can't simply sit and listen to it I must respond.

Whether it is the controversy over the building of mosques, miss representations in the media of what Islam says, people drawing the Prophet, or the heinous act of a Pastor planning to burn Qurans on 9/11 it has somehow become seen by some to be socially acceptable to be disrespectful to Muslims. The simple fact is, however, that it is not acceptable.

I spent a year teaching English in Bahrain a Muslim Country off the coast of Saudi Arabia. The Muslims I came in to contact with there were some of the most loving, peaceful and faithful people I have ever meet. I had the great privileged to have many discussions about faith with the people around me. In the end Muslims taught me to be a better Christian and I hope that I help them to follow their faith more fully.

I believe the controversy of Mosques and the negative things said about Islam come from a lack of understanding. To put it simply those out their who use the Suicide Bombs do not represent the reality of Islam anymore than those who bomb abortion clinics represent the reality of Christianity. The are radicals and should be named as such but we can not begin to judge a religion by the radicals. I know I don't want Christianity to be judged by it's extreme elements. As for the Quran, any negative thing you could say about it, you could find the equivalent thing in the book I hold as Holy, love and take very seriously the bible.

So today I'm here to stand with my Muslim sisters and brothers. The truly are my sisters and brothers and as their sibling it is my privilege to stick up for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment