Thursday, May 12, 2011

Open Letter to Sojourners

What follows is an open letter I wrote to Sojourners in regard to them rejecting an ad from Believe Out Loud a United Methodist group working for full inclusion in the church.

Dear Sojourners,

As a long time reader of Sojourners, I have gained a lot from your insightful take on issues of faith. I am deeply troubled however by your rejection of the ad from Believe Out Loud. You have been a consistent voice for the oppressed and marginalized and this decision is simply out of character for your organization. I understand that not everyone in your organization is of the same mind on the issue but you do not foster honest dialogue on the issue by by excluding the voice if faithful Christians who are attempting to promote said honest dialogue as Believe Out Loud is. I fear that this decision has less to do with the mission of your organization and more to do with dollars and cents, fear of losing readers/ sponsors. I pray that you will reconsider the issue and live up to your call to be the prophetic voice I have known you to be.

Chris Hockley

No comments:

Post a Comment