Sunday, March 28, 2010

This I Believe : Creatitivty is a A Spiritual Act

I wrote this as a part of a study we are doing at the church I work at that is based on the NPR series "This I Believe"

I believe that creativity is a spiritual act. Creativity is at heart of the universe we live in. Too often we think about the universe we live in as being a dead and lifeless machine, but that is not the case. Science shows us this, if you leave elements alone long enough they will combine and create all kinds of things.

The act of creativity connects us. It certainly connects artist with those who view the result of the creativity but I think that it goes much deeper than that. When we are creative we connect with the very world around us and with the source of all.

This view has changed the way I see things, as the season changes it is more that just something that happens each year. It is instead creativity at work, I see the process of creation happening right in front of me.

God did not just create at some time in the past. Instead creation is continually happening around us. God has created, is creating and will create. So as God creates it gives us the opportunity to use our gift of creativity to be active co-creators of a more just, loving and caring world.

It is through this spiritual act of creativity that we will better our world. When we look at the world we can see that the same old solutions that we have been trying to use for years simple are not working. The good news is that when we see creativity as a spiritual act it allows us to create new solutions to the problems facing us and future generations. It allows us to be at the work of bettering the world with God, side by side with our creator. It allows us to more fully mean it when we pray “your will be done.“ The opportunity to use our passion to help God’s kin’dom come excites me and gives me reason for much hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment